Today I am participating in a video shoot as a student providing questions about conducting technique to legendary conductor and trumpeter Jack Feierman. I have prepared the following short list of questions to ask him. Can you suggest more? Please leave in the comments.
- Patterns for odd meters: ie. 7/4, 5/4
- How important is it to have perfect pattern technique?
- Sometimes I feel I must conduct with down beats way ahead of the band. Where should I place the beat in my conducting in studio? orchestra? big band? show band?
- I am left-handed. Do I need to learn to conduct right-handed since that is what most players are used to seeing?
- If/when conducting left-handed, will a baton in my left hand emphasize the awkwardness of my left hand conducting?
- What is the best way to start a tune ensuring the right tempo is communicated to the band without too much downtime perceived by the audience: conduct beats? count out loud? just give a downbeat and hope for the best?